Monday, February 26, 2007

Marketing Yourself to
Small and Mid-Size Law Firms

Here’s a story. On my very first day working as an associate for a solo practitioner, my boss left a message on my desk instructing me to appear in a housing court part that day to seek an adjournment of a bench trial. My firm was defending a landlord against charges that his apartment buildings were not code compliant. Unbeknownst to me, however, the court had previously informed all parties that there would be no further adjournments of the trial. In addition, as if nothing else could go wrong, my client had decided to take a vacation out of the country that week.

I appeared in court as directed, and when I naively stood up to make my application, the judge politely but firmly said, “Sit down, Mr. Gilbert. I know you are only the messenger, but this case is going to trial.” I objected – client not here, blah, blah, blah, ineffective assistance of counsel, blah, blah, blah - but the court held firm. The housing authority made an opening statement, I reserved the right to make my opening at a later time, and my adversary called his first witness to the stand. I have a vivid recollection of the judge turning to me at some point and saying, “Mr. Gilbert, your witness.” Uh...yeah… right….

Although my first-day-on-the-job experience was rather severe, life with small and mid-size law firms can be unpredictably exciting and challenging. And when these firms hire student law clerks and new associates, they look for people who can think on their feet, roll with the punches, and research and draft documents on the fly, all while making a good impression with a client.

Accordingly, when marketing yourself to small and mid-size law firms, it is important that your resume and cover letter stress the particular skills that these law firms value. Have you met with clients? Have you attended co-counsel meetings or settlement discussions with adversaries? Did a judge ever ask you to quickly research a case that came up when he or she was on the bench? Your documents should be tailored and crafted to reveal to any prospective employer that you can handle these kinds of responsibilities, and more. Please meet with a CSO counselor to make sure you are putting your best foot forward when you apply for a job with this kind of employer.

In addition, an interview with a small to mid-size law firm is singularly important. During your entire interview, the employer is sizing you up, picturing you talking with a client or standing before a judge. The employer is deciding whether you have the confidence and fortitude to handle new and unpredictable assignments or whether you will wilt under the onslaught. You should not forgo an interview prep session with a CSO counselor before each and every interview you have with this and every other kind of employer.

Oh, you might be wondering what happened to me in court. Well, each time I was scheduled to cross-examine a witness, I requested that I be given the right to recall the witness at a later time for cross-examination, which the court granted. After a morning of this, the court adjourned for the day, but not without apologizing for having to put me through it all and telling me that I did a good job under the circumstances. The entire experience prepared me to be ready for almost anything in court (and my boss heard it from me when I next saw him).

by Brett Gilbert, Assistant Dean

No comments: